Monday 25 July 2011

The Hermit

The Hermit (IX) is the ninth trump or Major Arcana card in most traditional Tarot decks.


For me this is a card about stepping back from things and having some quiet time to myself to reflect and think. I often escape in to my garden to do this as I find it soothes and calms me. We have planted lots of trees since we moved here and I enjoy going around the garden 'greeting' each one and checking how it is. So often in this rat race we forget to take time out for ourselves, so caught up in the daily grind. The Hermit reminds us of the need for solitude and introspection. Time to be mindful of our inner selves and to step back from the chaos that can be modern life. 

It does however come with the warning that withdrawal may be for too long and be too complete. Once The Hermit has found solitude and had the time to reflect then he/she typically returns to share their knowledge with others.

The original vinyl album cover of Led Zeppelins hit album Led Zeppelin IV (as well as the liner notes for the CD release) contains a painted picture of the Hermit standing on top of a mountain peak looking down on a small village. The Hermit was the favorite Tarot character of Led Zeppelin guitarist Jimmy Page.


No comments:

Post a Comment